In 2010 we were asked to design a new product for the exhibition ‘Variability’ during the London Design Festival. Because of the theme we had chosen to work in a systematic way. We wanted to create a wide variety of cups by only using a few moulds. We came up with a way to exchange mould parts, in which different patterns were incorporated. We only used 12 moulds and applied 6 colours, this way we could make 864 unique cups.
When we started designing Micxup we didn’t have many tools or machines. We had just bought a kiln but weren’t used to it yet. We missed the great workshop of the Royal College of Art where we had everything we needed. We also had to find out where to order our materials and made some beginner mistakes with the kiln. At first, we only found broken tests and cups when we opened the kiln. We also had difficulties with glazing the cups. Working with Bone China wasn’t the easiest way to go, but we loved the material too much (still).
The colours are inlayed under the glaze, we made a relief in the plaster models and thought it would be easy to fill them with colour. The hand painting however, appeared to be a time-consuming work. Nevertheless, we decided the result was worth it.
We had a strong believe we would manage to deliver a beautiful collection in time. Stressful it definitely was. We learned a lot in the process of developing Micxup.
We use the cups ourselves every day and still love them!